07/20/14 - I’ve been away for a while, haven’t I…?
I’ve been gone for quite a bit, it seems. Didn’t really mean to be away from the book, things just happened that way. Lots of life happened to me during the past couple of weeks.
There have been some positives though.
1) I’ve been commissioned to design T-shirt uniform designs. This was my first genuine commission, and it’s only happened because I go to this owner’s tea shop and draw there a lot, putting myself out there and getting to know the people there. It feels good to be recognized.
2) I’ve found the magic of drink-&-draws. I can’t express how much this event has boosted my morale. Drawing is often a very lonely endeavor. I’m usually in my own little world when I focus on my work and I tend not to hold many long conversations with people at places because of this. My social life has taken a hit over the years and I’ve found myself not quite relating to many people anymore.
That’s why I was excited to find a drink-and-draw event at a local comic shop that’s held bi-weekly. And being there with other people like me just felt right - like being in art school without the curriculum. Oh, plus alcohol. Made some new friends, even.
I can’t wait for the next one.
3) I allowed my artistry to wander. Not being able to work on my book at my part-time job has forced me to rely on good-old sketchbooks again. During these periods at work (whenever I have free time, of course - I do my job!) I just generally mess around with anything - pens, markers, all sorts of styles, etc. It was meditative and freeing, far apart from the rigidity of my book work. I learned a lot of new things that I could incorporate into my book as well, and it was a great confidence booster.
There were the negatives as well…
1) Friends have struggled - and one passed away. I’ve found myself helping friends in need lately more than usual. But having one pass away is a different struggle. It was a quiet shock that lingered,and still lingers.
2) Student loans are a silent killer. Need I say more…?
Despite life, though, I’m ready to get back to my work now.
Done in Mischief.